Brave Adventure

Brave Adventure

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Marriage is a Covenant.

I love this video. Marriage/Love is a choice that we make every morning. It is not this sapping feeling that we have or will magically continue forever. There are definitely lots of feelings of love, sweetness, magic even, but there are also feelings of heart break, pain, and hurt. The evil one wants to fill us with lies to build walls between us and our spouses. He says to us, "where is the man I married?" "I don't feel like loving today" "I don't think I'm in love any more" and other such things that are complete lies. I know he says to me "you're not good enough", "you're not pretty enough", "you need to be more ____________". But we cannot believe these lies. God has created marriage and it is beautiful. It is a sacrifice, just as He sacrificed, and it leads to an even more beautiful thing - sanctification. God uses marriage to further sanctify us. I have never been more reminded of my need for God, my smallness (humility), my need for forgiveness/grace/mercy, my sinfulness, and so much more. How could someone like Cal love me? He loves me not just because I give him a fuzzy feeling, but because through him God loves me. Because we have covenanted together to be faithful spouses. Because being married is more than just feelings. Because the greatest love and joy we have together is a gift from God. Because the hardship ultimately makes us closer and helps us to know each other more intimately, more genuinely. One thing they say in the video - Marriage is an appointment you make with your spouse to be there year after year. We have a standing appointment with our spouses really even daily to be there and to fulfill our role. Enjoy the following!



Piper, Carson, and Keller on Sustaining the Covenant of Marital Love from The Gospel Coalition on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment