Brave Adventure

Brave Adventure

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Double Dark Chocolate Cookies


So, I have been trying to think of a way to get to know my neighbors for a while and had decided that baking was definitely the one. I really want to show them that we care about them and would love to learn about them, partially because I hate being couped up in the apartment but also partly because God loves these people and created them! While this was a good thought, it seemed like I always had an excuse. I decided that cookies or cupcakes were what they needed, but didn't have either piece of bakeware due to my oversight when packing in MS. Well my parents came in to town and they decided to bless me with some lovely new bakeware to replace what had been left behind. Well, then I couldn't do it because I was out of eggs. So, I patiently awaited a new month (slash a new grocery bill cycle) and bought some eggs and brown sugar for these cookies. 

Recipe:
1/4 cup butter, softened (they are not joking here - soooooft, but not melted)
1/4 cup canola oil (I used olive oil)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar (I used light brown)
1/4 cup granulate sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt (I just eye balled this - I do not have an 1/8th tsp measure)
4 oz. bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped (I used semisweet chips)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.


Then, in a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. (the picture is in motion - ooo blurry)

Then, beat in oil, brown sugar and granulated sugar until well combined.
oil

brown sugar

regular sugar

well combined

Next, beat in the egg and vanilla until well combined.
egg

vanilla

well

combined

In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the two flours, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.

Then add the flour mixture to the sugar/liquid mixture.


Yummy!

Now stir in the chocolate chunks/chips

Now, in my opinion it is usually the case that if batter tastes good, so will the cookies. So I like to add the step of tasting the batter. (p.s. raw eggs can be harmful, so do this at your own risk)

2. Drop dough by heaping teaspoons about 2 inches apart onto the cookie sheets.

Bake about 12 minutes or just until the edges are set. Let cool 1 minute on cookie sheets. Transfer cookies to wire cooling rack.

Now eat up! Or do as I did and use it to get to know your neighbors!

Let me know what you think, I'd also love to see your pictures if you try out this recipe. I thought the cookies were better straight out of the oven because they were gooey. It turns out when they cool off they get a little crunchy. Not a bad kind of I-bought-these-off-brand-at-the-store sort of crunchy, just crunchy. I also think I could have made them a bit thicker. Enjoy!

Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Annual Recipes 2009
Prep: 30 minutes, Bake: 12 minutes, per batch, Oven: 350 degrees
Each cookie: 237 calories, 9g fat (2g sat. fat), 6mg chol, 482 mg sodium, 34g carb, 3g fiber, 6g, pro, 14% of daily vitamin A, 45% of daily vitamin C, 7% of daily calcium, and 9% of daily iron

No comments:

Post a Comment