Brave Adventure

Brave Adventure

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Contractions and Closing

Well, it's only Tuesday but I feel like it has already been a full week. That's completely fine with me since I enjoy being busy, but it does make the time issue rather awkward. I have spent my days packing and reading mostly with the addition of baking today (Home Group!).
Random, fun photo interruption! Maternity Pics!

We are officially less than 2 weeks from closing on our house at this point, so I have been trying to get ready. I have completely packed up our guest room and most of the books in our apartment - this is no small project. We have a lot of books between the two of us.

This is our new house from the front - it's adorable and the exact perfect brick color (that may mean nothing to you, but I have literally always wanted a house this color. Completely weird.) It's not too big and it's not too small. We have some room to grow, but we have not overdone our budget. And as I sit here listening to my lovely neighbor's hacking cough (smoking kills, you know) as he sits out on his porch, I wonder if I will miss this apartment. I loved the people in my last apartment complex in Mississippi. I mean, don't get me wrong they had plenty of faults. Sometimes they woke us up or kept us up late with their noise, one of them fed stray cats so there was always a multitude of them around, and some of them only talked to us when they needed something. No matter, I loved them. We had been able to plug into their lives and get to know them. We had been able to share the Gospel with every neighbor whose door "touched" ours. We had become the closest with our upstairs neighbors who were from a different country and were constantly teaching us new things. But this experience has been a different cup of tea. I was so excited to move into the complex and start getting to know new neighbors, but no matter how much I've said hello, attempted conversations, and brought baked goods to them, they did not wish to be friends.

Now, maybe you don't know me very well, but I want to be friends with everyone. I am extremely friendly and ridiculously talkative. Poor Cal got way more brunt of this lately since I have had a harder time making friends that I can see daily. My neighbor and I used to go on a walk together almost every day in MS, but now I go alone most of the time. But there is still a catch. I am stubborn, also. Every time someone new moves in to one of these apartments I think to myself, maybe I can engage these new people. We may not have much time left here and we may continually be intentionally ignored by our neighbors, but I won't give up. Something I learned this semester with my amazing mentor Rebecca was this: God did not call me to be successful with my neighbors, only to do my utmost to reach them. As long as I am obedient to God's will, He will take care of the rest. Have I been perfect? No. Will I succeed? It seems unlikely. Will I quit? No.

Am I excited about new neighbors to start fresh with? Oh yes. I hope they like chocolate!

On a side note, I hope you've enjoyed a peek at our maternity photos (more are on facebook, even more are in my possession). Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers as I have had more contractions (the fake kind mostly) and do not want to be put on bed rest.

1 comment:

  1. I think your house is lovely! Can't wait to see inside it! And great maternity pics too!

    ReplyDelete