Brave Adventure

Brave Adventure

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Two Weeks as a Mommy

I have officially survived two weeks as a Mommy and am loving every bit of it. Here is a picture of Rebekah and me cuddling on the couch. We look like a puff ball of pink, but it's still sweet. She loves it when I wear this robe (thank you for the suggestion Lindsey!).


Baby girl is amazing and exhausting and beautiful and tiny and so many other things. I am also feeling more emotions than I knew I could and sometimes all at the same time. I read an article the other day and it talked about how being a good mother. It said that you can love your baby absolutely and still have moments where you want to place your little bundle of joy outside on the porch because they will just not. stop. crying. This does not make you a bad mom. (I'm guessing the bad part happens when you actually put your baby on the porch alone) I have felt so much love for this little girl, but there have been a few nights when I thought "if girl-friend doesn't sleep, she may need to find a new residence" or "when does our babysitting end and this baby goes home". This makes me normal. The good news is that the desire to send her home with someone else is never a lasting emotion because I am so in love with this little girl. One of the best and most frustrating things about being a mommy is that only you are mommy. Only you can feed her, only you (sometimes) can calm her, only you smell like mommy, only you sound like mommy. Sometimes it just has to be mommy! I love that she prefers me. I love that sometimes even though she is worked up beyond belief that I can pick up her up in my arms and she immediately stops crying. Is there anything better?? Yet sometimes I just wish someone else could feed her so I could get just one more hour of sleep. In those moments though I just wake up, walk to the living room, pick her up, and think - it is worth it.

Eat that blanket!
Look at that face! How could it not be worth it? Some updates on our little girl:
  • She is staying awake more during the day and sleeping at night
  • She has regained most of her weight and I'm sure by now she's regained it all. She is an AMAZING eater and sleeper when she wants to be. 
  • She is so so strong. She can lift her head and is already making some movements like she wants to crawl. It's a bit crazy! 
  • She recognizes mommy's voice and smell even in a crowd. 
  • She has her big kidney scan (VCUG) this Thursday and we appreciate your prayers. She also has an upcoming hip scan because she was breech for so long.
  • She is changing fast!!

1 comment: