Brave Adventure

Brave Adventure

Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Week that Wouldn't End

Well last week just felt like a doozy. I'm not sure that's a real word or how you are supposed to spell it, but there you have it.


 Well my little girl is growing up and we are about to celebrate her 4 month birthday. Some quick news about her before I give you all the details from my insane week. We will take her in for her next kidney scan (read: renal ultrasound) in mid-July and hopefully get some more answers. Thank you for all the prayers, I know you want updates but the truth is we won't have any until after this scan. Baby girl is getting long. She is skinny for a baby - not freakishly so, but still skinny. She is getting so long! It's funny because Newborn pants fit her around the waste but are preparing for a flood on those ankles, 0-3 months are slightly too short and are GIANT as far as her waste and thighs. I haven't even tried the 3-6 month pants because I can't imagine they'll be any better. She is grabbing more and it all goes straight into the mouth these days. She is also the rolling queen. She rolls from stomach to back and back to stomach now although only when she's happy and you aren't expecting it. She does not do tricks for anyone but herself. She spends a considerable amount of time on her side, sucking her fingers (any combination of the middle 3, but not the thumb or pinky typically). She has been "swimming" twice now but is still figuring out how she feels about the water. She always cries for a little bit until she gets used to it - don't worry I'm keeping her in the shade. Girl-friend has decided that she is highly fond of a 3 year old, curly headed, blonde boy that lives close by and he is great with her. He rocks her in her car seat, and shows her toys. Today when we were at their house, Rebekah was crying and he came over to rock her and started going "shhhhhh, shhhhh" in a very calming manner. I know he's picked this up from his mom who is the baby whisperer, but if he's not careful he is going to get himself an admirer in our little girl (though we would be thrilled, he's a fantastic little boy). He's also the only little boy I know who already thinks about who he will marry. Rebekah is shaping up to be a chatting Claire... I mean kathy haha and is making lots of happy sounds amidst her smiling. Mrs. Debbie (RB's favorite nursery worker) was even rewarded today with a smile. She has finally started to eat for a reasonable amount of time (rather than an hour at each feeding) and staying awake happy. She likes to look at the pictures in books, stare at mommy/daddy, look at dancing phalanges (anyone?), play peek-a-boo, suck on everything, and stare at her rattle/jingle toy. She's also getting much more tolerant of other people's houses - she sleeps like a champ! *singing* All night long! Lastly, Little Bit loves her Daddy. She can be seen almost nightly attempting to fall asleep on Daddy's shoulder sweet spot or staring at him even though she's in mommy's lap. It's so precious!


Now, for those of you ready for my quick week recap of crazy.... This week our AC went out. It just couldn't handle the pressure - praise the LORD for home warranty. Literally. So we called upon some incredibly gracious and precious friends. I stayed at a friend's house all day pretty much and then they even let us spend the night because our house was over 92 degrees indoors. We had many offers to let us stay with them and we just felt crazy blessed. So needless to say that was a swerve in the path. Then the AC man couldn't make it until the next day so my accountability partner agreed to come to my house, with her two kids, with no AC - troopers, y'all. Praise the Lord again, it was a rainy/cloudy day so my AC worked enough to cover us until the fixer got there. Well in the midst of all this craziness (because the week before, traveling to DFW and back) wasn't crazy enough (pics to come), RB went on a nap strike. She took 1 hour long nap over about 3 days. It's not that she was crazy fussy or anything, but she needed constant entertainment from yours truly. Praise the Lord a third time, it seems to have been a short lived phase. She has been doing this thing where she is super fussy in the evenings, but I am slowly winning her over to happiness. It will happen. We are still dealing with some drama with the Jetta and are thus, driving only one car at the present which makes life just that much more stressful day to day. Praise the Lord again for nothing serious to do Friday or Saturday and making homemade gyros. Cal didn't even get out of his pj's on Saturday. Lastly, she has been doing this thing off and on where she is eating fine and then towards the end she just starts screaming every half minute or so. She nurses, screams, nurses, screams, until she's done eating and then she's happy. Weird? Any advice out there ladies? We have tried gas drops and acid reflux stuff to no avail. She also let me have it a few more times than normal this week in semi-public, just enough to stress out even the laid back mommy. I just tried to take some deep breaths and calmly decide what to do.

I have to say that nursing in public is no longer a thing I am scared of. A few weeks ago push came to shove and I nursed the babe in a Whataburger. They didn't care, I wasn't an exhibitionist and all was fine. I read an article once that said there are a lot of things that you worry about that in the long run don't matter, but one thing you will always regret are the moments when you didn't stand up for your baby's needs (as in, you knew what they needed/wanted and allowed peer pressure to make you do something other than what you thought was best). So... I fed in her in a Whataburger. I won't give you the list of the places I have fed her since then... be calmed by the fact that I always use a blanket/cover up and try not to be make a scene of it. I have to do this, but you don't have to watch. Another piece of advice I have really liked is "you're the mommy, no one else, no one knows her like you do". So true. I cannot tell you exactly how to parent your child or take care of your child. I think we can all agree that you need to feed, clothe and discipline your child but how exactly that is accomplished is generally none of my business. It should be consistent, it should meet the child's needs, it should help the child grow up into a healthy and responsible adult. I don't care how long you nurse your baby, whether you spank or not (though discipline of some time should be used), whatever. I know my baby, you know yours, and as mommies we have to stick together to fight for the best for our children. End of that rant.

Writing that out made my week seem so much less frustrating and tragic, but I think I needed to get it off my chest. Thanks for reading! Please leave me a comment, because it makes me feel loved :)

3 comments:

  1. So precious! I can't wait to have your little one in the Kitten Room! :) -Daniela Cauich

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friend. I love & miss you. And I am so thankful for your example in my life! YAY! Also, was that a Bones shout-out that I caught? Phalanges! Phalanges! Too fun. Love you! And we should catch up soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love you and RB... babies are crazy... end of that rant!

    ReplyDelete