Brave Adventure

Brave Adventure

Sunday, March 31, 2013

7: An Experiment Mutiny Against Excess

Recently I had a friend talk on her blog about reading the book "7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess" by Jen Hatmaker. Can I just tell you that this book is scary and exhilarating all at the same time? It is asking me to take a month a piece to radically reduce. The different things I will work on are food, clothes, possessions, media, waste, spending, and stress. The first month is food. She asks that you live for the month only 7 foods (healthy foods). She has done some research to come up with her 7 and I have decided to follow her model. The seven foods are:

1. Chicken
2. Eggs
3. Spinach
4. Avocados
5. Whole Wheat Bread/Tortillas
6. Sweet Potatoes
7. Apples

I know this is going to get old, eating the same food for every meal. I know I will have to get creative. We can only use olive oil, salt, and pepper to cook. Whoa! But here I am, taking the plunge. This is not to diet, nor to be healthy (though it is healthy), this is to take a step into simplification. Have you ever really thought about how much your life revolves around food? Do you have any "comfort" foods? Do you owe yourself a treat when you succeed at something or when you have a low day? Well I said yes to all those questions. So April 1st is my first day of 7 and I sit at the precipice thinking..."what have I done?" ha. I feel like some months will be easier, but this one is tough. Hurts my insides tough. So tonight we made a special last meal for me before the month begins (keep in mind we're about to make s'mores too):

Peanut Butter and Syrup Pancakes with Sparkling Cider

Powdered Sugar Pancakes and Sparkling Cider
Pray for me please.

1 comment:

  1. YOU CAN DO THIS!!! And I must say I am actually intrigued to do it myself at some point! Lead the way and let me know how it goes!!

    ReplyDelete