Brave Adventure

Brave Adventure

Friday, June 12, 2015

Art that surprises






In college I loved taking all of the classes in my Russian minor. I fell in love with this language, but also the culture. I took one class all about Russian art throughout many different periods of time. We looked at paintings, read plays, and more. It was such an incredible class with a quirky, hilarious teacher.

One artist that I became deeply interested in was Mikhail Vrubel. He had such an interesting way of using colors, showing dimensions, and everything he did had a haunting quality about it. He had a series of paintings having to do with a "demon" that really took my breath away. Above is just one of that series and was always my favorite. Everything about this painting pulls me in and says something to me. It also really challenges all of my ideas of what a demon would look like and even feel like. I love how you get a window into someone's mind when you see their work.

Tamara dancing for the demon. It seems weird to me that I am so captivated by a series of artwork that relies so heavily on a demon, but none of them seem dark like I would expect. They are so haunting and yet so beautiful. Maybe that's what demons are really like. They are the fallen angels of God, are they not? Beautiful to behold, but darkened by the fall.




The Swan Princess. This one is not one of the demon related ones, but still has some of those same aspects. This woman is incredibly beautiful, yet haunting and dark. I cannot even put it into words. I hope you enjoy his work as much as I did.




Join me as I tackle 300 writing prompts! Today's prompt - What is your favorite work of art and what do you love about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment